Search this site - powered by
In the Beginning
The Long Island Rail Road Station
Maple Grove Cemetery and Vicinity
Homes of Kew
Lefferts Boulevard and Vicinity
Queens Boulevard and Vicinity
Metropolitan Avenue and Vicinity
Kew Garden Apartments
Kew Gardens in the News
PS99 Photographs and More
Where Are They?
Kew Gardens Improvement Association
Links to Other Web Sites of Interest
Pictures dated c. 1890 and 2002
Click images to enlarge
The First Streets
Before 1900, there were few streets in North Richmond Hill. Those that existed were dirt roads, lit by oil lamps, and almost impassible in winter. The sidewalks were made of cinders and in the winter time, narrow plank walks were laid down which were then taken up in the spring. The circa 1890 picture is of one of those streets - Church Street, first known as Market Street, today known as 118th Street. You are looking half a block away.
Circa 1890 picture from the Lucy Ballenas Collection courtesy of Carl Ballenas.
Kew Gardens Country Club, Inc. Booklet, p. 8 (1929)